This post may contain Amazon or other affiliate links. Read full disclosure policy.
It can’t get much fancier than this! These sublime Sugar-free Keto Mini Pavlovas are crispy on the outside and marshmallowy soft on the inside. A heavenly treat!
Pavlova cake is a famous meringue-based cake from either Australia or New Zealand (both countries claim this recipe). It is usually topped off with whipped cream and fruit. It is just as light and beautiful as the Russian ballerina after which it is named – Anna Pavlova.
The traditional version is anything but low-carb, loaded with sugar and often high-carb fruits. However, this sugar-free keto version of the pavlova is just as crispy and light as the original. And while it looks very fancy, it is actually pretty easy to make! Just make sure to read my tips!
No-fail mini pavlovas without sugar!
Egg whites. Use fresh egg whites for the meringue (not the carton ones!). Make sure not a drop of yolk finds its way into the whites! The whites need to be completely fat-free to be whipped. This also means that your bowl cannot be greasy. Use a glass or metal bowl.
Whipping. The easiest way to beat the whites is with a stand mixer, as it takes about 10 minutes for the meringue to be stiff and glossy. However, a hand mixer works, too (it is just tiring). Start at slow speed and gradually increase to medium. Once the whites look white and foamy, add Swerve Confectioners one tablespoon at a time. Make sure each tablespoon is well incorporated before you add more. Scrape down the sides of the bowl if necessary. Increase speed and whip until the meringue looks glossy and stiff. Add the arrowroot-vinegar mixture, beat for 30 more seconds and done.
Arrowroot + vinegar. These are not optional ingredients! The vinegar helps with the stiffing process. That’s especially important since we don’t use sugar. Arrowroot is responsible for the nice marshmallowy interior. You will combine both ingredients in a small bowl, whisk well, and then add to the beating meringue mixture.
Baking. To bake a meringue perfectly, it is all about being patient! Preheat your oven to 275℉, once you add your pavlova shells turn down to 215℉. Bake for 1 hour 10 minutes. Wedge your oven door ajar with a wooden spoon and let the pavlovas cool down for about 30 minutes. The baking tray needs to be cool enough to take out with your bare hands.
Assembly. With a spatula, carefully remove the pavlova shells from the baking paper and place on serving plates. Now your pavlovas are ready for their toppings. First, carefully crack the top with your fingers or small spoon to make a shallow nest for the whipped cream. Now you can top them off with fresh berries, keto macerated strawberries (my favorite!), or nuts. Serve fresh. If you are not ready to serve right away, wait to add the whipped cream and toppings until later. You can store the pavlova shells in the fridge in an air-tight container for about 4 days.
Ready to be fancy? Let’s make Sugar-Free Keto Mini Pavlovas!
MORE FANCY DESSERTS
Sugar-Free Keto Mini Pavlovas
- stand mixer or hand mixer
- Preheat oven to 275°F. Line large baking sheet with parchment paper. Draw 6 circles on parchment paper (about 3.5" to 4" wide). Turn paper over, so that the line won't appear on the baked pavlova shells.
- Place egg whites and salt in a metal or glass bowl and whip on slow speed. Increase speed to medium and whip until egg whites look white and frothy.
- Add powdered sweetener, one tablespoon at a time. Increase speed and beat the egg whites until they look stiff and glossy.
- In a small bowl whisk together the vinegar and arrowroot. Pour mixture into the egg whites while still beating. Beat for 30 more seconds and then turn off mixer.
- Spoon the meringue evenly on the 6 rounds drawn on the parchment paper. With a knife or back of a spoon, flatten the meringue.
- Place in the oven and immediately turn oven temperature down to 215°F. Bake about for 1 hour and 10 minutes. The pavlova shells should be hard on the outside. Wedge your oven door ajar with a wooden spoon and let the pavlovas cool down for about 30 minutes.
- With a hand mixer, whip up the heavy cream until peaks form.
- Take the baking tray out of the oven. With a spatula, carefully remove the pavlova shells from the baking paper and place on serving plates. Carefully crack the top with your fingers or small spoon to make shallow nests for the whipped cream. Divide the whipped cream between the 6 pavlova shells. Top with with fresh berries, keto macerated strawberries, or nuts. Serve fresh.