This post may contain Amazon or other affiliate links. Read full disclosure policy.
You won’t be able to resist this gorgeous Keto Meringue Cake! Crispy meringue layers filled with a light whipped cream filling.
There are few cakes that are more festive than this beautiful Meringue Cake, which is why it’s a popular Christmas cake in Germany. The crust is soft and chewy and topped with a meringue layer. This is followed by a light whipped cream filling and finished with a marshmallow-like meringue topping. After trying your first bite, you will understand why this cake is called Heaven Cake in Germany.
While meringue is usually made with loads full of sugar, our version OF COURSE is made without any added sugar. Instead, we whip our egg whites with powdered and granular erythritol which work wonderfully well for a low-carb meringue. The crust is completely grain- and gluten-free thanks to our versatile friend almond flour. So, you can have your (keto) cake and eat it, too!
Tips for making the perfect meringue cake!
Springform pan. To make this cake, you will need a 9-inch springform baking pan. In the past, I have used springform pans that were leaky. I have since used this springform pan by Nordic that has a tight sealing and a rim to prevent any spills. It has become my favorite baking pan!
Meringue. To make the perfect meringue, make sure that not a drop of yolk finds its way in your egg whites. With a hand mixer, whisk up the whites until foamy, and then add the powdered erythritol and granular erythritol, one tablespoon at a time. Beat the whites until peaks form and then add the vinegar. Beat for 10 more seconds and you are done. I use Swerve confectioners, but you can also use the equivalent of pure powdered erythritol.
Assembly. This cake consists of 4 layers: crust with meringue topping, cream filling, and meringue finish. To assemble your cake, place your meringue-topped crust on a cake platter or large serving dish, add the whipped cream filling and smooth out top. Lastly, carefully place the cooled down meringue top layer on the filling. To decorate the cake, you can use powdered erythritol and fresh berries.
You can eat your cake, too, with only 3 net carbs per slice!
TRY MY OTHER FESTIVE KETO CAKES
Keto Meringue Cake (Heaven Cake)
- Line springform pan with parchment paper and grease the springform sides. Preheat oven to 350 °F.
- In a medium bowl, combine Swerve Sweetener, almond flour, and baking powder. Add melted butter and eggs and stir well or knead with your hands until smooth dough forms.
- Flatten dough into a disk and then press into the bottom of the springform pan (if the dough sticks to your hands, sprinkle dough with some more almond flour). Set aside.
- In a medium (grease-free) bowl, beat the egg whites and dash of salt with a hand mixer. Once the whites look foamy, add the sweetener one tablespoon at a time. Beat until firm peaks form. Add vinegar and beat for 10 more seconds.
- Pour ½ of the meringue over the unbaked crust. Spread meringue to the edges of the springform and bake for 15 minutes until meringue looks golden brown. Place the remaining half of the meringue into your fridge.
- Remove baked crust and meringue from oven (do not turn off oven). Let cool down for 5 minutes. Run a butter knife between the cake and the pan, and remove springform ring. Lift up cake by the parchment paper and set aside on serving platter.
- Assembly your springform back together. Line springform pan with another piece of parchment paper AND this time also grease the parchment paper (to keep the second half of meringue from sticking to it). Pour the second half of the meringue on the parchment paper and spread to the edge of the sides. With the back of a spoon make some swirls and peaks.
- Bake this meringue layer for about 10-12 minutes, until it looks golden brown.
- Remove from oven and let cool down for 5 minutes before running a butter knife between the cake and the pan, and removing the springform ring. Let meringue cool down completely.
- While the meringue is baking, start preparing the filling. In a large bowl, beat heavy cream, erythritol, vanilla extract, and cinnamon until peaks forms.
- Add softened cream cheese and beat until well combined.
- To assemble, spread the filling on the meringue crust. Then carefully lift up second meringue layer with a spatula and place on the filling. Let the cake chill for ½ hour before slicing and serving. You can dust the cake with powdered erythritol and decorate with fresh berries.
- Keep leftovers uncovered in your fridge for up to 5 days.