This post may contain Amazon or other affiliate links. Read full disclosure policy.
This classy German dessert combines the flavors of vanilla, dark chocolate, and rum. The keto version of the Gentlemen Cream is just as festive, creamy, and delicious as the original. You will love it, whether you are a gentleman or lady!
The origins of the Gentlemen Cream are unknown, but Germans sure love this dessert. In northern Germany, the “Herrencreme” is a traditional dessert served at weddings. And who could blame them? It is light, creamy, and with a shot of rum (or rum extract) it is the perfect dessert for a celebration.
It looks fancy, but it is super easy to make! First, we will make a keto vanilla pudding. Second, we will fold in some fluffy whipped cream and chocolate shavings. Just follow my tips, and prepare yourself for this incredible fancy German treat!
Tips for creamy Keto German Gentlemen Cream!
Pudding. Pudding is made by slowly heating up the custard. Otherwise, we will end up with bits of scrambled egg in our pudding. So, don’t rush it. After cooking our pudding, the mixture will look like a vanilla sauce, not pudding. So our next step is chilling: Pour the vanilla sauce into a large dish and completely cool in the fridge for about 2 hours or overnight.
Rum. The original Gentlemen Cream is made with rum (after all gentlemen like rum, right?). I serve my version to my kids, so I make it with rum extract. So, whatever works best for you and your family, rum or rum extract, you pick.
Whipped cream. Beat heavy cream (don’t you try it with half and half!) until stiff peaks form. Once your pudding is completely chilled, fold the whipped cream in carefully.
Chocolate shavings. To make your chocolate shavings, simple use a vegetable peeler or knife to scrap of thin chocolate shavings. I use Lily’s sugar-free dark chocolate. You can also use 90% chocolate.
Now let’s whip up this fancy keto Gentlemen Cream!
TRY OTHER GERMAN RECIPES
Keto German Gentlemen Cream (Herrencreme)
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- 2 oz sugar-free dark chocolate shaved
- In a medium saucepan over medium-low heat, bring 1 cup heavy cream and erythritol to a simmer. Stir often to keep the cream from burning.
- In a small bowl, whisk together yolks and the remaining ¾ cup heavy cream.
- Add the egg mixture to the simmering heavy cream. Whisk often and scrape the bottom to prevent the mixture from burning. Bring slowly to a low rolling boil. Remove the saucepan from heat and whisk in vanilla and rum extract (or rum for alcoholic version). Chill the pudding completely in the fridge in a large glass or metal dish (for about 2 hours).
Whipped cream and assembly
- In a medium bowl, whip the heavy cream until still peaks form.
- Take the chilled pudding out of fridge and fold in the whipped cream and dark chocolate shavings.
- To serve, divide into 6 serving dishes. You can top the cream with shaved chocolate, berries, or cocoa powder.