This post may contain Amazon or other affiliate links. Read full disclosure policy.
Don’t know what to make with all your zucchini? Try Keto Creamed Zucchini, an aromatic and creamy side dish that’s easy and quick!
It’s the beginning of August and our garden is overrun by zucchinis! We recently bought a vacuum sealer to preserve our produce for the winter. I have been spiralizing, grating, and freezing zucchinis for the last few days for winter soups, zoodles, and of course keto zucchini bread! I have also been trying to come up with new ways to cook zucchini to entice my children to eat it.
TRY MY KETO ZUCCHINI MINI BREAD LOAVES (WITH YOGURT) HERE
Enter Keto Creamed Zucchini! Sautéed onions and zucchini combined with heavy cream and fresh herbs. I love how the zucchinis take on the flavor of the chopped onions and the slightly sweet aroma of dill. This dish is not only easy to make, but it presents zucchini in a soft and creamy way. You can easily put your own spin on it by using different herbs and spices.
Tips for making Keto Creamed Zucchini!
Zucchini. For this recipe you will need one large or two small zucchinis. I chopped mine, but if you like you can also slice your zucchinis. I like some bite in my creamed zucchini with the peel one. For an even softer consistency, you can peel your vegetables before you cut them up.
Herbs. For my variation, I used fresh chives and dill. I just love the combination of onion and the slight sweetness of dill. However, feel free to use other fresh herbs, e.g. parsley. I grow my herbs all-year round indoors in my hydroponic garden.
Onions. I hate chopping onions. They always make me cry. A few years back, I had enough and bought myself a hand-powered vegetable chopper. Love this handy little gadget!
Skillet. Use a skillet with a lid. By cooking the zucchini with a lid, they will turn nice and soft, and that’s what we want for this dish!
Let’s give this creamy, keto side dish a try!
Keto Creamed Zucchini
- large skillet with lid
- ½ onion chopped
- 2½ cups zucchini chopped, 1 large or 2 small ones zucchinis
- 1 cup heavy cream
- fresh dill chopped
- fresh chives chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large skillet over medium heat, slightly brown onions with some butter. Add chopped zucchini, season with salt and pepper, and sauté for 5 minutes. Stir.
- Turn down heat to medium-low, cover skillet, and cook for another 5 minutes until zucchinis are soft.
- Add heavy cream, fresh herbs, (more salt and pepper to taste), and let simmer without lid for 5 more minutes until the cream thickens.
- Serve warm. Store leftovers in airtight container for up to 5 days in the fridge.
- Feel free to peel the zucchinis before chopping them for a softer consistency.
- You can use other fresh herbs, like parsley, instead of chives and dill.