This post may contain Amazon or other affiliate links. Read full disclosure policy.
This Keto Apple Sour Cream Cake is incredibly creamy, festive, and made with REAL apple. You won’t believe it is keto!
It is fall and I know one food that many of us low-carb foodies are missing right now is APPLE! Everywhere I look is see apple cider, apple pie, apple muffins, apples, apples, APPLES!
So I decided to convert my favorite apple cake into a KETO dessert! It took more than a few tries until I came up with a keto version of this traditional German Apple Sour Cream Cake. I wanted the crust just to be as soft as in the original wheat version, but without the wheat, of course! And I wanted there to be actual apples. Mission accomplished!
This keto apple cake tastes just as incredible as it looks! With three stunning layers – soft crust, apple pudding filling, creamy topping – it is perfect for any special occasion! Step aside apple pie, this keto apple cake will take over Thanksgiving and Christmas this year!
Tips for baking a beautiful Keto Apple Sour Cream Cake!
Springform pan. To make this keto apple cake, you will need a 9-inch springform baking pan. In the past, I have used springform pans that were leaky. It is quite a pain to clean up burned batter from the bottom of your oven! I have since used this springform pan by Nordic that has a tight sealing and a rim to prevent any spills. It has become my favorite baking pan and I have had no problems with spills. If you are not sure if your springform pan is leak-proof, make sure to place your springform pan on a baking sheet while baking.
Steps. To bake this keto apple cake, we will work in steps. First, make and bake the crust. Second, cook the pudding, chill, and pour over the crust. Chill cake completely. Third, whip together sour cream topping and pour on cake. Lastly, whisk together cinnamon-sugar topping and sprinkle over cake. Keep in your refrigerator until ready to serve.
Pudding filling. We will make our keto pudding from scratch with 1 grated apple, 2 eggs, and 3 teaspoons of gelatin. I use powdered grass-fed gelatin. We will add our gelatin mixture to the hot pudding mixture, and then this pudding filling needs to cool down! Let it chill in your fridge (or outside if it is cold) until it thickens, for about 45 minutes. Pour the chilled mixture over the crust and transfer the cake back into the fridge for at least 3 hours or overnight. Only then will we add the sour cream topping to the cake.
Apple. Yes, we will use an actual apple for this recipe. Don’t worry, it will still be low-carb with only 4 net carbs per slice! Pick a medium-sized Granny Smith apple (they are lowest in sugar), and with the coarse-grating side of your box grater, grate the whole apple (except the core).
Enjoy a slice of KETO Apple Sour Cream Cake!
TRY THESE THANKSGIVING/CHRISTMAS KETO RECIPES
Keto Apple Sour Cream Cake
Apple Pudding Filling
Sour Cream Topping
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup sour cream
- ¼ cup Swerve Sweetener confectioners
- Preheat oven to 350 °F. Grease your 9-inch springform pan and sprinkle some almond flour over the bottom of the pan.
- In a medium bowl, combine Swerve Sweetener, almond flour, and baking powder. Add melted butter and eggs and stir well or knead with your hands until smooth dough forms.
- Flatten dough into a disk and then press into the bottom of the springform pan (if the dough sticks to your hands, sprinkle dough with some more almond flour). Bake for 10-12 minutes, until crust looks golden brown. Set aside (leave the crust inside the springform pan).
Apple Pudding Filling
- In a medium saucepan, whisk up both eggs. Add granular erythritol, grated apple, lemon juice, cinnamon, and water. Stir over medium heat and bring pudding mixture to a boil.
- While pudding mixture is heating up, sprinkle gelatin over ½ cup of cold water. Let stir for 5 minutes, then stir.
- Take pudding mixture from heat, pour in gelatin mixture, and whisk well until gelatin is completely dissolved. Add vanilla extract and whisk again.
- Transfer apple pudding filling into a large bowl (this will speed up the cooling process) and let mixture cool down some on counter before chilling in the fridge for about 45 minutes.
- Once the pudding is chilled and thickened, pour it over the crust. Place the cake (inside the springform pan) into fridge for 3 hours or overnight for pudding mixture to set completely.
Sour Cream Topping
- In a large bowl, beat heavy cream with erythritol until peaks form. Add sour cream and fold under.
- Take cake out of the fridge, pour sour cream topping over and smooth out the top.
- In a small bowl, whisk together cinnamon and erythritol. With a sieve, sprinkle cinnamon topping all over the top of the apple cake.
- Remove springform ring and store cake in fridge until ready to serve. Consume within 3 to 4 days.