This post may contain Amazon or other affiliate links. Read full disclosure policy.
This Cream Onion Chicken is a dream for all chicken lovers out there. It is a keto-friendly dinner that’s easy to prepare.
Cream Onion Chicken is a popular comfort food in Germany and after trying it, you will find out why. The sauce is tangy, creamy, and simply irresistible! I love how flavorful it is thanks to the sliced onions, spices, and addition of dry white wine. The chicken is breaded with almond flour, quickly pan-fried on both sides, before being baked in the cream onion sauce.
It really is a wonderful and quick dinner idea for those of us who are on a gluten-free and low-carb diet. I’m always trying to add more chicken recipes to my keto-friendly repertoire and am excited to share this one with you. Chicken can often taste boring and bland, but you won’t disappoint your taste buds with any of my recipes, like Chicken Breast with Leek and Wine Sauce or Cheesy Chicken Bake!
Tips for making this irresistible chicken dinner!
Chicken. To enhance the flavor and texture of our chicken breast, we will first bread it with almond flour and then pan-fry it on both sides. This way the chicken will stay moist inside, while slightly crispy on the outside.
Sauce. After pan-frying the chicken breast, remove the chicken from the pan and place into prepared oven dish. Use the same pan to make the sauce. First, fry chopped onions in oil. Then add garlic, cream cheese, heavy cream, and white wine. Whisk and scrape the bottom of the pan. Simmer for a few minutes and then pour the sauce over the chicken breast. Bake and done!
Wine. Pick a decent quality bottle of dry white wine for this recipe. You don’t need to buy the most expensive bottle in the store, but do chose a higher quality wine, so you can enjoy a glass (or half a glass) with your dinner if you wish.
Vegetables. If you wish you can add vegetables to this dish. I added chopped tomatoes (cherry tomatoes work amazingly well with this dish).
Chicken with a sauce to die for!
TRY MY OTHER SAUCY DINNER IDEAS
Cream Onion Chicken (KETO)
- small baking/casserole dish (ceramic or glass)
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1 tbsp frying grease olive oil, butter, or ghee
- 2 cloves garlic
- 4 oz cream cheese
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- ½ cup dry white wine
- salt and pepper
- 1 tomato optional
- Butter a ceramic or glass baking dish. Set aside.
- Cut each chicken breast in about 2-3 three pieces lengthwise. Salt and pepper both sides.
- Add the almond flour to a shallow bowl or plate. Take one piece of chicken and dredge both sides in flour until completely coated. Repeat with all chicken breast pieces.
- Heat large frying pan with frying oil over medium-high. Brown chicken breast pieces on both sides (about 3 minutes each side) and then place chicken into prepared baking dish. Turn down stovetop heat to medium-low.
- Preheat oven to 400 °F.
- Add another tablespoon of frying oil or butter and sauté onions until soft.
- Add garlic, cream cheese, heavy cream, and white wine. Scrape bottom of pan and whisk until sauce looks smooth. Simmer for about 8 minutes until sauce is thickened. (If desired, also add chopped tomatoes to simmering sauce). Salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour sauce over chicken breasts. Bake for 25 minutes.
- Store leftovers in air-tight container in fridge for up to one week.